Write your NOVEL in 100 Days Online Course
(please note the price is only in USD as this site only allows that! Please convert to ZAR). This is a 3.5 month course with writing coach Sarah Bullen that will prompt, push and hold you to your promise to write your NOVEL.
First up you need to know that I am a huge fan of structure and plotting. I am book editor and literary agent as well as a writing coach so I know that all stories need the architecture to hold them for the length of a full novel. I will want you to give your story into a rough outline, so my first step is to get that down on paper. I have a very tight plotting method we will use.
In 100 Days you will end up with up to 80,000 words if you do the work as it is laid out in the course. I have been running this course for eight years in various forms and I can honestly say it is just fantastic. It will teach you to write a novel and push you the entire way to your first draft with daily emails, lessons and deadlines.
Please note this is not a mentorship and there is not one-on-one engagement, however you will have access to The Writing Room community, Wednesday Writing Sprints and the At Home Retreats for the 3.5 months.
If you are wanting to be mentored and work together more closely, look at this page. https://www.thewritingroom.co.za/sarahcoaching.html
HOW DOES IT PRACTICALLY WORK?
* Every day for the first month you will be given a short 2 min lesson via email to read, or to watch.
* Each day has exercises that takes you systematically through how to plot your book.
* At key points you will be asked to send some work for feedback and review.
* The lessons will show you how to plot your story, step by step, beginning to end, going over what the story is about, who the characters are, where the story starts, how it reveals itself and how it ends.
* The format of the course will make sure your story is set up right (the beginning hook) and has the dramatic momentum (the middle build) to carry it through to a fulfilling ending.
* You start actually writing after Day 10 and then the course will take you deeper into advanced plotting, storytelling, characters, dialogue, style, theme, genre and writing.
* Each stage of the mentorship has a task and word count targets for you to reach.
* You block book your own writing time when it suits you, using the prompts that I send you to know how far your writing should be at each point.
This is the course I did in 2008/9 and I wrote my first novel. I was sick of thinking about writing a novel and making false starts for years, so I took a week off work and did this course. By the end, I'd trashed the novel I'd been wheel-spinning on, and had a new idea. A month later I had a very dodgy first draft, which later became A Million Miles from Normal, published by Penguin Random House in 2010. Today I'm working on my 9th novel, and pretty much still using the same techniques Sarah taught me.
So, if you're thinking of doing a writing course, stop thinking about it and do it. I can't imagine you'll regret it. Paige Nick, Million Miles from Normal
“This was a very useful course to do, particularly the early modules that actually got me plotting and writing in two weeks. I had no clue how to even start writing and the clear information that you provided just mapped the way forward.’
Maria Phalime, author of Second Chances and Postmortem: The Doctor who Walked Away - Winner of the Maskew Miller Longman Literature Award in 2013.