Community LINK ! Online Writing Mentorship
This is a supported process that will get you to create, plan, write and COMPLETE your book. You will join a group of writers work to get your book out over four months. Writing coach Sarah Bullen and international author Kate Emmerson are your master whip crackers.
This course includes a copy ot the book Write your Book in 100 Days couriered to your home.
The full course description is here
Sarah Bullen - international writing mentor + literary agent working with authors and publishers. She has written six books, writes for magazines internationally and lectures on writing and publishing.
Kate Emmerson - multi-published author, coach and international keynote speaker inspiring audiences with her kick-ass, engaging style. She coaches writers on confidence, discipline, procrastination and shifting blockages.
We know most writers need a few things to make real progress in their writing:
- An experienced mentor to give you the right advice at the right time
- Someone to hold you accountable and make sure you get it done.
- A place to ask experts questions when you get stuck
WHAT HAPPENS - PRACTICALLY?
In a nutshell, you will plan, write and produce your first draft over 100 days (realistically about 4 months with all the planning)
This is a leaner version of our intense and personal mentorships.
We hold your hand for four months. We set the targets and deadlines and show you how to move forward and write with clear focus and intent. This is the first step all writers must take down the path to publication. Without your first draft, you cannot progress to the next stage.
This will prompt, push and hold you to your promise to write your book.
- A step-by-step structure with specific TASKS week by week
- 2 x one-on-one session with your mentors
- Fixed and scheduled writing time and deadlines
- Handing in weekly updates
- Scheduled writing days built into your schedule for deep immersion in your book
- A FB writing community to share ideas, get support, feedback and meet deadlines
- Weekly or monthly word count tracking – our aim is to get you all the way!
- Designated days to get feedback on your book
- An optional accountability partner
Who should do this?
- Want to write a non fiction book (memoir, non-fiction)
- Writing a NOVEL? Click here
- Have started your book, but not finished
- Have a story to tell and don’t know where to start
- Wish to leave your legacy in the written form
- Have an urge to write, and don’t know what it is yet
- Want to reach a global audience
- Want a lead magnet E-Book to share your passion
- Be an expert who wants to expand your brand influence
- Be a marketer who wants to tell your company’s story
- Need to create a keynote talk - or a series of them
During the first four months, the entire focus will be on your word count and getting your draft down (aka writing your book).
What will you learn?
- BOOK STRUCTURE: This is both a course and a mentorship and Sarah is a structure fanatic who will show you that a strong structure is the gift that sets your writing free.
- Kate is all about supporting you to stay confident and release any "stuff" that niggles its way into your brain or heart, so you get on with the job of writing! Dealing with EMOTIONS of writing, procrastination or overwhelm that will kick you to touch if you don’t know how to handle it.
- What is your STORY? Let’s find it together.
- The basics of planning a compelling book
- The key elements of structure / plotting/ planning
- Finding your hook, genre and message
- How to build your book - chapter by chapter
- Titles and log lines
- Develop your characters and events
- Working with dialogue
- Knowing what to include and exclude
- Adding depth and layers, tone and voice
Kate cracks the whip and Sarah moulds your book into shape.
How much time do I need to put aside for this?
This mentorship works around your current life. We are not expecting you to quit your job. We do like you to be on the live calls once a month but other than that you are going to have to work out how much writing time will get your book completed. For some writers it’s a slow and steady hour a day, others may find they block-book a series of weekends away to get up the word count. You will also need to update on the Facebook group every week and take approx 20 minutes to support your fellow writers. Note: it is this community of support that past authors swear by, as a way to keep going.
Is this for novels or non-fiction?
Ah, good question! That makes my heart sing as it shows you know already where your book is heading. You understand genre. The answer is BOTH novels, and non-fiction writers can apply. Novel writers will be on a fast-track process to plot, outline and write the book. Memoir and non-fiction writers will be on an equally fast course to finish, but with their own lessons. You will all start and finish together.
To what extent do Kate and Sarah read my work and edit or give feedback on it?
Each writer gets a session with both Kate and Sarah. These are 45 mins each. Sarah's includes 45 mins of reading time with each session. Most of the feedback is structural, with a focus to getting you to write a publishable book with refinements to structure, plotting, characters, and story arc.
Can Sarah edit my book?
Not at this point during this mentorship. This is the first step on the road to publication. Sarah does take on certain books to edit, but you first have to finish your book. ... most often your first, second and third draft before it is ready for an edit.
Can I do this if I am already published and want to write a 2nd book?
Of course. We have some writers who had done this three years in a row.
Can Sarah take on my book as an agent?
This is not part of the mentorship. Sarah's does take on some of our graduates but this is not part of this process and taking part does not imply she can place your book. Submissions to an agent will happen separately and independently of this course, after the PITCH TO PUBLISHED BOOTCAMP.
What if I don't finish my book in the allotted time?
Hmmm, we like to think you will, and experience has shown us that you can. We are truly going to push you all the way there. If you don't finish, however, the chances are you will be a LOT further along than before we started. Our track record says you will complete your first draft.
What if LIFE gets in the way and I need to stop the mentorship?
The fee is non-refundable. However, you can continue to receive all the lessons and recordings of live calls, and still be able to use your personal coaching sessions with Kate and Sarah within the mentorship time period. When life eases up, you can pick up your book where you left off and continue with your lessons. Often writers take us up on the highly subsidized “re-sit” fee to come and enjoy the group support and weekly deadlines to get back on track again FAST! We want you on the group, on the calls and engaged with us and your book so that you go all the way.
I LOVED everything. The structure and the accountability. I loved the combination of Kate's inspiration and Sarah's taskmaster writing challenges. I loved hearing other people's progress and stories – it inspired me to carry on. Also was great as a forum to discuss some of the structural aspects of writing and really narrowing the focus of your book's core. The one-on-one sessions were brilliant as it really kept me believing I could do it and gave me good ideas to implement going forward. For someone who wants to do it but isn’t sure how or if they have it in them, this is the perfect way to test yourself.
I did your 100-day writing course in 2015 for my novel, Gracie Stirling and the Whisper Horses. It's getting published! A small publishing house in Wales picked it up and will be publishing it. I have already signed the contract and they have sent their edits. I just wanted to say a big thank you so much. The 100-Day course was invaluable and it provided me with the structure and "action" they loved in the book. Thank you!
Jenny Kling, Gracie Stirling and the Whisper Horses, Gomer Publishing 2019