Non Fiction and Memoir Book Mentorship
This is a tightly-held four month mentorship that will take your book all the way from an idea to a completed (and possibly publishable) book. This could be a professional book, non-fiction, biography or memoir. This is not an online course. Nor is it for Novels (rather do this one).
This is a mentorship process where you work together with an experienced book author and mentor to get your book planned, structured and written over four months.
The full course description is here
Writing a book is a big deal. It can (and should) change your life. It takes time, investment, sweat, hours of work and a good writing strategy. Some books take longer. Few books take less time. It will depend on your own writing speed, the amount of material you already have, and the genre of book you are writing.
This is a very structured four month programme I use that runs with a series of emails, calls and key lessons over these months. You meet every 4 weeks with your mentor to review your work and to keep your book on track and make sure you are meeting your word count deadlines. Over 100 published authors over 15 years shows it works.
What does the mentorship include?
* A structured programme with a series of emails, calls and key lessons over these months. You get tasks to complete each week for review.
* Personal one-on-one calls every 4 weeks with your mentor. Here are some of our mentors
* A Wednesday Weekly writing group 4 hours a week
* Once a month Three-Day Writing Binge (online) where we write for 8 hours a day x 3 days.
We know most writers need a few things to make real progress in their writing:
- An experienced mentor to give you the right advice at the right time
- Someone to hold you accountable and make sure you get it done.
- A place to ask experts questions when you get stuck
WHAT HAPPENS - PRACTICALLY?
In a nutshell, you will plan, write and produce your first draft over 100 days (realistically about 4 months with all the planning)
This is a leaner version of our intense personal mentorships.
What will you learn?
- BOOK STRUCTURE: This is both a course and a mentorship and Sarah is a structure fanatic who will show you that a strong structure is the gift that sets your writing free.
- What is your STORY? Let’s find it together.
- The basics of planning a compelling book
- The key elements of structure / plotting/ planning
- Finding your hook, genre and message
- How to build your book - chapter by chapter
- Titles and log lines
- Develop your characters and events
- Working with dialogue
- Knowing what to include and exclude
- Adding depth and layers, tone and voice
- Dealing with EMOTIONS of writing, procrastination or overwhelm that will kick you to touch if you don’t know how to handle it.
You will be assigned a book mentor who has worked in your genre. A list of some of the mentors we work with is here
If you want to be mentored by Sarah Bullen only, please email directly and I will send an application form
WHAT WRITERS SAY
"I LOVED everything. The structure and the accountability. I loved the combination of Kate's inspiration and Sarah's taskmaster writing challenges. I loved hearing other people's progress and stories – it inspired me to carry on. Also was great as a forum to discuss some of the structural aspects of writing and really narrowing the focus of your book's core. The one-on-one sessions were brilliant as it really kept me believing I could do it and gave me good ideas to implement going forward. For someone who wants to do it but isn’t sure how or if they have it in them, this is the perfect way to test yourself.
I did your 100-day writing course in 2015. Gracie Stirling and the Whisper Horses is getting published! A small publishing house in Wales picked it up and will be publishing it. I have already signed the contract and they have sent their edits. I just wanted to say a big thank you so much. The course was invaluable and it provided me with the structure and "action" they loved in the book. Thank you!
Jenny Kling, Gracie Stirling and the Whisper Horses, Gomer Publishing 2019